1. Which of the following rich snippet formats are supported by Google? Select all that apply.
c. Data Highlighter
2. Which of the following image file types can be indexed by Google?
3. Which of the following HTTP headers tells search engines when content has been changed since the site was last crawled?
4. Which of the following is not a valid goal type from the perspective of Google Analytics?
c. Pages/Screens per visit
5. Please choose which of the following tool belongs to the Bing Search Engine?
a. Keyword Planner
b. SEO Analyzer
c. Object Browser
d. Open Graph Debugger
6. Which of the following is not a valid method for verifying site ownership on Google?
a. HTML file verification
b. Meta tag verification
c. Google Analytics code verification
d. None of these.
7. Which of the following HTML attributes can be used to provide descriptive text for site assets that a search engine crawler doesn't typically recognize?
18. Which is the correct usage of the Keyword Planner Tool in order to get a Phrase Match search volume for "New York hotels"?
a. New York Hotels
b. “New York Hotels”
c. [New York Hotels]
d. ?New York Hotels
9. Which of the following practices may improve the Domain Authority rank of an automobile trading website? A: Submitting the website to all directories that are available. B: Getting backlinks from auto-niche blogs. C: Getting backlinks from fashion-niche blogs. D: Using Robots to post on forums. E: Manually posting at least 50 comments/day.
a. A, D and E
c. B, D and E
d. All of above.
10. Which of the following correctly describes what are considered to be "Doorway pages"?
a. Pages with a permanent redirect(301) to an external page with relevant content.
b. Pages especially designed to link partner sites.
c. Sets of poor-quality pages where each page is optimized for a specific keyword or phrase.
d. None of these.
11. What would be the impact of meta keywords on Google's ranking algorithm?
a. Meta keywords are not used by Google.
b. Multiple meta keywords may bring better results in SERP.
c. Google encourages the use of a single meta keyword for each page.
d. Multiple meta keywords get penalized by Google.
12. Which of the following best describes the practice of "Google Bowling" from a negative SEO context?
a. Increasing the organic search ranking of a particular website or page by pointing hundreds or thousands of links at it, using very specific anchor text.
b. Knocking a competitor out of the search results by pointing hundreds or thousands of low trust, low quality links at their website.
c. Making a search engine believe that another website exists at a given URL.
d. Using words which were traditionally associated with low quality content that caused search engines to want to demote the rankings of a page
13. Which of the following best describes a blog "TrackBack"?
a. An automated notification that a website mentioned another website; it is a built-in feature on most popular blogging software programs.
b. A link from one website to another. It is also called an inbound link.
c. A method used to break a page down into multiple points on the web graph by breaking its pages down into smaller blocks.
d. It is a method for tracking visitors on a website.
14. Which of the following practices are allowable under Google Webmaster Guidelines?
a. Using automated programs or services to create links to a site.
b. Links with optimized anchor text in articles or press releases distributed on other sites.
c. Forum commenting with optimized links in the post or signature.
d. Advertising links that use the nofollow attribute.
15. Which of the following statements is true about Sitemaps?
a. If a site is accessible on both the www and non-www versions of its domain, a separate Sitemap for each version must be submitted.
b. A Sitemap file must contain no more than 50,000 URLs and must be no larger than 50MB when uncompressed.
c. A Sitemap file should be specified under the following XML namespace: xmlns=”http://www.google.com/schemas/sitemap/0.9″.
d. Google only accepts Sitemap files in XML format.
16. Which of the following is an example of "Cloaking", which is considered a "black hat" SEO technique?
a. Sending a visitor to a different URL than the one they initially requested.
b. Locating text behind an image.
c. Serving a page of HTML text to search engines, while showing a page of images or Flash to users.
d. Using CSS to position text off-screen.
17. Which of the following statements is true about the effect of page load times to a page's ranking in Google's search results?
a. Page load times affect a page’s ranking, and is given the same importance as a page’s relevance to the search query.
b. Page load times affect a page’s ranking, but is given lesser importance compared to a page’s relevance to the search query.
c. Page load times do not affect a page’s ranking.
d. Google gives up on crawling a page if its load time is greater than 5 seconds.
18. Which of the following is true about Google's treatment of keyword density in a given page?
a. Keyword density is no longer being considered by Google’s search algorithms.
b. Targeted keywords should be used as frequently as possible in a page to maximize PageRank.
c. Artificially increasing keyword density offers diminishing returns and may be penalized for “keyword stuffing” if taken too far.
d. None of these.
19. Which of the following examples are considered by Google as "auto-generated" content? Select all that apply.
a. Text translated by an automated tool without human review or curation before publishing
b. Text generated from scraping Atom/RSS feeds or search results
c. Text generated by the website’s content management system
d. Text generated using automated synonymizing or obfuscation techniques
20. Which of the following are recommended actions to take when a website is penalized by an "Unnatural links to your site" Manual Action from Google? Select all that apply.
a. Removing old content from the site.
b. Preventing links that violate Google’s guidelines from passing PageRank.
c. Using the Google Webmaster Tools to disavow any offending links that the site management isn’t responsible for.
d. Requesting reconsideration of the site from Google.
21. For maximum potential visitor traffic, if you could choose just ONE search engine to optimize your Web site for, which should it be?
22. If your site is not appearing in Google search results because of some unethical SEO practices in the recent past, _________________.
a. abandon and close your website permanently.
b. modify the page contents, make them useful and relevant to the human users, and request Google to reconsider your site.
c. start a PPC campaign to get your site included in the sponsored results.
d. it is better to discontinue the website and shift your webpages to a fresh website with a new domain name.
23. What does the term Keyword Prominence refer to?
a. It refers to the fact that the importance of choosing high traffic keywords leads to the best return on investment
b. It refers to the importance attached to getting the right keyword density
c. It refers to the fact that the keywords placed in important parts of a webpage are given priority by the search engines
d. It refers to the fact that the keywords in bold font are given priority by the search engines
24. What will happen if you type the words 'Certification -Networking' in the Google search box?
a Google will find the web pages about Certification and also containing the word “Networking”
b. Google will find all the web pages containing the words “Certification” and “Networking”
c. Google will find all the web pages in which the words “Certification” and “Networking” appear together
d. Google will find the web pages about Certification that do not contain the word Networking
25. Which black hat SEO technique is characterized by a method to deceive search engines, by detecting the search engine bot and "feeding" it with a different HTML code than the HTML actually served to users?
26. Which of the following statements is correct with regard to the description meta tag?
a. It should be about 50 characters in length
b. The description should not contain the keywords
c. If the meta description is not included, the search engines will use the meta keywords for information
d. Google uses the meta description to generate the search engine results pages
27. Which of the following factors contribute towards link popularity of a website?
a. The number of websites that link to it
b. The number of pages of the website indexed by Google
c. The number of pages in the website
d. The quality of websites that link to it
28. Which of the following statements about the Google Sitemap are correct:
a. Repeated submission of the Sitemap to Google could be penalized
b. It is possible to create and submit specialized Sitemaps to Google for Video and Mobile content
c. The Sitemap acceptable to Google follows an XML format
29. Which of the following statements about Google's technical and quality guidelines are true?
a. It is advantageous if your web server supports the If-Modified-Since HTTP header
b. If using dynamic pages, it helps to keep the parameters short and the number of them few
c. Avoid using robots.txt to prevent crawling of search results pages or other auto-generated pages, even if they don’t add much value for users coming from search engines
d. Submitting new pages of your website at http://www.google.com/addurl.html as soon as they are online, helps to speed up indexing
30. Which of the following conditions will Google treat favorably from the 'Relevancy' perspective?
a. The website offering products and services to the visitors country
b. A website that provides free content for the related keywords
c. Hidden keywords on the home page matching the search term
d. Image Alt tags on the home page matching the search term
31. Some words, when followed by a colon, have special meanings to Yahoo. What is performed by the link: operator?
a. It shows all the outbound links from the URL
b. It shows how many pages of the site Yahoo is pointing to
c. It shows all the pages that point to that URL
d. It shows URLs with broken links
32. Search engines do not index some common words (such as "or", "and", "when", and "in") within the webpage. What are these common words called?
a. Barrier words
b. Non-indexable words
c. Slow words
d. Stop words
33. Which of the following statements about search engine optimization techniques are correct:
a. Making a keyword bold does not influence the way that the search engine looks at the keyword
b. Websites with deep linking are looked at favorably by search engines
c. Search engine robots follow the first link they find to any particular page and they do not follow additional links to the same page
d. It is not a good idea to have the same anchor text for all inbound links as it could look automated to the search engines
34. Which of the following can be termed as good keyword selection and placement strategies?
a. Targeting synonyms of the main keyword
b. Targeting the highest searched keywords only
c. Copying competitor keywords
d. Optimizing five or more keywords per page
35. What is Keyword Density?
a. The number of times the keyword is used / (DIVIDED BY) the total word count on page – (MINUS)the total words in HTML on the page
b. The number of times the keyword is used X (MULTIPLIED BY) the total word count on page
c. The number of times the keyword is used in the page description
d. The number of times the keyword is used in the page title
e. The number of times the keyword is used and multiplied by hundred / (DIVIDED BY) the total word count on the page.
36. If a website's search engine saturation with respect to a particular search engine is 20%, what does it mean?
a. 20% of the webpages of the website have been indexed by the search engine
b. Only 20% of the pages of the website will be indexed by the search engine
c. 20% of the websites pages will never be indexed
d. The website ranks in the first 20% of all websites indexed by the search engine for its most important search terms
37. _________________ use both crawlers and directories to generate relevant results.
a. Crawler-based Search Engines
b. Human-Powered Directories
c. Hybrid Search Engines
d. Meta Search Engines
38. What term is commonly used to describe the shuffling of positions in search engine results in between major updates?
39. Which of the following statements about FFA pages are true?
a. They are greatly beneficial to SEO
b. They are also called link farms
c. They are paid listings
d. They contain numerous inbound links
40. Which of the following actions could get you banned by Google?
a. Hiding text on the webpage
b. Stuffing keywords on the webpage
c. Linking to sites banned by Google
d. None of the above
41. Which of the following website design guidelines have been recommended by Google?
a. Having a clear hierarchy and text links
b. Every page should be reachable from at least one static text link
c. If the site map is larger than 100 or so links, you should break the site map into separate pages
d. Keeping the links on a given page to a reasonable number (fewer than 100)
e. Use less than 30 images or graphics per page
42. While grading your website, Google gives credit to outbound links pointing to authority websites?
43. Google looks down upon paid links for enhancing page rank. If a website sells links, what action/s does Google recommend to avoid being penalized?
a. The text of the paid links should state the words “paid text link” for Google to identify it as a paid link
b. Only Paid text links to non profit websites should be accepted
c. Paid links should be disclosed through the “rel=nofollow” attribute in the hyperlink
d. Paid links should be disclosed through the “index=nofollow” attribute in the hyperlink
44. All major search engines are case sensitive.
45. 10 people do a web search. In response, they see links to a variety of web pages. Three of the 10 people choose one particular link. That link then has a __________ click through rate.
a. less than 30%
b. 30 percent
c. more than 30%
46. Which of the following is an ethical SEO Technique?
a. Creating a subdomain with the hottest keyword and creating duplicate copies of existing pages on it
b. Filling your pages with keywords, whether relevant to the page content or not
c. Creating a page which serves a different content to the search engine bots and different to human users
d. None of the above
47. What will the following robots.txt file do? User-agent:Googlebot Disallow:/*? User-agent:Scooter Disallow:
a. It will allow Google to crawl any of the dynamically generated pages. It will also allow the altavista scooter bot to access every page
b. It will disallow Google from crawling any of the dynamically generated pages. It will also disallow the altavista scooter bot from accessing any page
c. It will disallow Google from crawling any of the dynamically generated pages. It will allow the altavista scooter bot to access every page
d. None of the above
48. What is Anchor Text?
a. It is the main body of text on a particular web page
b. It is the text within the left or top panel of a web page
c. It is the visible text that is hyper linked to another page
d. It is the most prominent text on the page that the search engines use to assign a title to the page
49. Why is it a bad idea from the seo perspective to host free articles and write ups that are very common on the internet.
a. Because they will not lead to fresh traffic
b. Because you could get penalized by search engines for using duplicate content
c. Because you will not get the benefits of proper keyword targeting
d. Because people could turn up claiming copy right infringement
50. Cloaking is a controversial SEO technique. What does it involve?
a. Increasing the keyword density on the web pages
b. Offering a different set of web pages to the search engines
c. Hiding the keywords within the webpage
d. Creating multiple pages and hiding them from the website visitors