51. Which of the following statements is correct with regard to the images within a webpage?
a. Images cannot be spidered by the search engines
b. Important keywords related to the image should be placed in the ALT text
c. mages should always be kept close to the top of a webpage
d. Image maps should be used while including the images
52. Which of the following statement about RSS is correct?
a. It is a form of XML
b. It stands for Realtime streamlined syndication
c. It is a good way of displaying static information
d. It is a Microsoft technology
53. What is the function of "indexer" part of the Google search engine?
a. It helps to retrieve web pages from the world wide web
b. It helps to gather information from other search engines
c. It helps to sort the documents that Google has retrieved
d. It helps to generate meaningful results based upon the user’s search term
54. Which of the following free tools/websites could help you identify which city in the world has the largest search for the keyword - "six sigma"?
a. Yahoo Search Term Suggestion Tool
c. Google Traffic Estimator
d. Google Trends
55. Do search engines such as Google detect unnatural linking patterns by checking the Class C IP address of the page where the link to the website originates?
56. What does the 302 server response code signify?
a. It signifies conflict, too many people wanted the same file at the same time
b. The page has been permanently removed
c. The method you are using to access the file is not allowed
d. The page has temporarily moved
e. What you requested is just too big to process
57. While optimizing your website it is important to generate the right type of traffic, how does the Bounce Rate information help in this regard?
a. By letting you know the percentage of users who entered the website and then went on to visit additional pages
b. By letting you know the percentage of users who entered the website and then left without viewing any other page
c. By letting you know the percentage of users who decided to go back to the source from where they found your website
d. By letting you know the percentage of users who left your website within 10 seconds of viewing the first page
58. Which of the following statements is correct with regard to natural links?
a. They are two way links (reciprocal links)
b. They are from authority websites
c. They are voluntary in nature
d. They are from .edu or .gov extension websites
59. Which of the following facts about Alexa are correct?
a. Alexa provides free data on relative website visitor traffic
b. Alexa and Quantcast provide information on visitor household incomes
c. Alexa is biased towards US based traffic
d. Quantcast only tracks people who have installed the Quantcast toolbar
60. Are RSS/Atom feeds returned in Google's search results?
61. How are site maps important for the search engine optimization process?
a. Site maps help the search engine editorial staff to quickly go through a website, hence ensuring quicker placement
b. Google gives credit to the websites having site maps. The GoogleBot looks for the keyword or title “Site Map” on the home page of a website.
c. Site maps help the search engine spider pick up more pages from the website
d. None of the above
62. Implementing a 301 Permanent Redirects on the old pages to redirect to the new pages is a good idea from the SEO perspective.
63. What is the name of the search engine technology due to which a query for the word 'actor' will also show search results for related words such as actress, acting or act?
c. RSD (real time synonym detection)
64. What is the illegal act of copying of a page by unauthorized parties in order to filter off traffic to another site called?
65. Google gives priority to themed inbound links.
66. What is the main reason for the effectiveness of optimizing a webpage towards a long tail keyword search?
a. There are more long tail searches than shorter keyword queries
b. Search engines often pass on long tail searches to lesser known and new websites
c. Search engines do not pass on long tail search traffic to websites that rank high for shorter keyword searches
d. There are fewer websites that have targeted such keywords
67. Google displays up to _____ characters of a webpage's Title Tag.
68. What is the term for Optimization strategies that are in an unknown area of reputability/validity?
a. Red hat techniques
b. Silver hat techniques
c. Grey hat techniques
d. Shady hat techniques
69. A Hallway Page is used to:
a. Attract visitors from the search engines straight onto the Hallway Page
b. Organize the Doorway Pages
c. Help people navigate to different Doorway Pages
d. Enable search engine bots to index the Doorway Pages
70. Which of the following search engines or directories provides the directory search results for Yahoo?
a. Windows Live
b. Yahoo Directory
71. _________ is usually the best web page to get linked to while receiving a themed in-bound link from another website.
• The sitemap
• The contact page
• The home page
• The page which you would like to improve in the search engine rankings
72. The following robots meta tag directs the search engine bots: <META NAME="robots" CONTENT="noindex,nofollow">
• Not to index the homepage and not to follow the links in the page
• Not to index the page and not to follow the links in the page
• To index the page and not to follow the links in the page
• Not to index the page but to follow the links in the page
73. If you enter 'Help site:www.expertrating.com' in the Google search box, what will Google search for?
• It will open up the Google help pages applicable to www.expertrating.com
• It will find pages about help within www.expertrating.com
• It will only find page titles about help within www.expertrating.com
• It will direct you to the request page for re-indexing of www.expertrating.com
74. Which of the following activities could be looked down upon by Google as per their quality guidelines?
• Using automated website submission software
• Loading pages with irrelevant links
• Intentionally adding keywords to the TITLE tags and ALT attributes
• Registering misspellings of well-known websites
75. Which search engine technology prevents a website from appearing in numerous top positions in the search engine result pages?
76. If you search for the term "iq test" in the Word Tracker keyword suggestion tool, will it return the number of independent searches for the term "iq"?
77. Which of the following factors does Google take into account while assessing whether or not a website is an authority website?
• The frequency with which the content of the website is updated
• The number of web pages containing relevant information on the main theme of the website
• The number of in-bound natural links related to the website’s theme (or keywords)
• None of the above
78. State whether true or false. The Yahoo Directory listing is a free service for commercial sites.
79. State whether the following statement is true or false. A Sitemap provides a list of internal links to user accessible pages on a website.
80. Which of the following statements regarding website content are correct?
• If you have two versions of a document on your website, Google recommends that you only allow the indexing of the better version
• Linking to a page inconsistently does not affect the way Google views the page/s. Examples of inconsistent linking could be http://www.expertrating.com/page/ and http://www.expertrating.com/page and http://www.expertrating.com/page/index.htm
• Syndicating your content could lead to Google viewing the material as duplicate
• Placeholders for pages which do not have content are never viewed as duplicate content by Google
81. Which of the following does Google uses to display characters of a web page's Title Tag?
a. Pixel Width
b. Title Tag Character count
c. None of the
82. Google can index the information inside of an iFrame
a. False, Google does not recognize the information inside of iFrames.
b. True, content within an iFrame is visible on your site therefore Google can index it.
83. What is the meaning of the term "H1" tag?
a. It stands for Heading Level 1.
b. It stands for Highly Important.
c. It stands for “First Header.”
d. Its origins are not known.
84. Which of the following URLs would be the best choice of structure for both the search engines and humans?
85. What is sitemap.xml?
a. Sitemap helps in easy crawling of all the pages of a website.
b. Helps end-user to find all the pages of a website.
86. What is a 404 page?
a. A page that is designed for viewing on mobile devices.
b. A page that is designed to be 404 pixels high.
c. A page that is designed to be 404 pixels wide.
d. A page listing telephone numbers in the 404 area code.
e. A page that shows up when the selected page is not available.
87. Which of the following is a SEO best practice?
a. Choose a title that effectively communicates the topic of the page’s content
b. Choose a title that no relation to the content on the page.
c. Use a default of vague title like “Untitled” or “New Page 1”.
d. Skip the title tag all together.
88. Which of the following is beneficial to the search engine optimization of a specific web page?
a. placing content you want indexed in search engines within a <noframes> tag in a frame-style Web page
b. having the web page embedded in a Flash file
89. SEO skills are only used for Google.
a. False. SEO skills are used primarily for paid for advertising.
b. False. SEO skills are used for all dominant search engines worldwide.
c. True. SEO skills are only reflected on Google.
d. False. SEO skills are primarily used for web hosting companies.
90. How do you submit an XML sitemap to Google?
a. Using a Submitter tool
b. Via Google Analytics
c. By emailing Google Support
d. You can’t. Google will crawl it for themselves.
e. Via Google Webmaster Tools
91. What are the "best practice(s)" for the TITLE tags on your web pages?
a. Describe the actual contents on the page.
b. Give each page a unique TITLE tag.
c. Keep the TITLE tags short.
d. Don’t stuff unnecessary keywords into the TITLE tags.
e. All of these
92. Does Google use social metrics to influence search rankings?
93. _______ is the name for the Google search filter designed to penalize over-SEO'd sites.
94. True or False: Creating descriptive categories and filenames for the documents on your website can not only help you keep your site better organized, but it could also lead to better crawling of your documents by search engines.
95. What is a White Hat SEO?
a. Writing religious content for a website with spiritual keywords.
b. Following guidelines and ensuring content has followed the terms and conditions.
c. Sending out spiders to track your web searches.
96. Which of the following statements is correct with regard to the images within a webpage?
a. Image maps should be used while including the images
b. Important keywords related to the image should be placed in the ALT text
c. Images should always be kept close to the top of a webpage
d. Images cannot be spidered by the search engines
97. Which of the following strategies produces the most valuable links for SEO?
a. Commenting on blog posts on other sites.
b. Buying links from sites.
c. Creating great content on your site to which others want to link.
d. Getting listed in directories.
98. True or False: Only Keywords are part of SEO.
a. True. Keywords are what contribute to a high rank on a web search.
b. True. Keywords are the only thing I need to let people find me on the internet.
c. False. Optimizing a website may involve editing content, indexing activities, backlinks/inbound links, coding, etc.
99. If you find that people are accessing the same content through muliple URLs,
a. be happy that they are accessing your pages in a variety of ways.
b. Create a pop-up and let the user know they came to your site incorrectly.
c. setting up a 301 redirect from non-preferred URLs to the dominant URL is a good solution.
100. Can I promote my PDF content for SEO purpose ?
101. Which is a best practice for creating URL names?
a. Use incremental numbers to name each successive page.
b. Use real words in the URL name.
c. Make your URL names longer to be more descriptive.
d. URL names don’t matter since they do not show up in search engines.
e. Include session IDs in the URL name.
102. Can you test you robots.txt file via Google?
a. Yes! It Can be checked
b. No tool available.
c. No there is no way to check Google only read robots.txt file.
d. Different types has different bots.
103. Which is more likely to have a positive impact on a page's search engine rankings?
a. 1 link each from 10 different websites with related content.
b. 10 links from 1 website with related content.
104. What should you avoid when writing a description META tag?
a. Generic descriptions like “My Web Page”
b. Descriptions that contain all of the visible text from the page.
c. Descriptions that have nothing to do with the actual page content.
d. Descriptions that are nothing but keywords.
e. All of these
105. What should you always do if you use images for your navigation buttons?
a. Make sure the image file name is descriptive of what the link is.
b. Make the text color lighter than the background color on the buttons so the robots can use the contrast to scan the text.
c. Use sanserif fonts for the text on the buttons so the robots can scan the text.
d. Use the ALT attribute of each image to include relevant descriptive text.
106. How many Disallow: lines can be included in a single entry in a robots.txt file?
e. None of these
107. Google AdWords:
a. Are bid on by setting a maximum amount you will pay per click to determine ranking.
b. Can be managed by setting a maximum amount you want to be charged per day.
c. All of these
d. Incurs charges based on when people actually click on the links.
e. Uses reserved slots that show up at the top and side of the Google search results.
108. Why is the 'alt' attribute important for SEO?
a. It can give you “link juice”.
b. Helps web pages load faster by rendering text instead of images.
c. Helps search engines understand content in an image.
d. Allows you to specify what pixel size you want the image to be indexed at.
e. Provides a more optimized page to be given to crawl bots.
109. Social media has no effect on SEO.
110. Which site should you connect your website with to improve your SEO?
a. None of these
e. All of these
111. Why should your URLs be words that make sense and not coded strings of characters?
a. URLs are listed with search engine results and should be understandable.
b. All of these
c. Actual words provide additional information someone searching.
d. Actual words are easier for others to link to.
e. Actual words are easier to remember and share.
112. What will cause a 404 page to display?
a. All of these
b. A user mistypes a URL.
c. A user enters only part of a URL.
d. A user clicks on a broken link.
e. A page has been deleted from the web site.
113. What is Keyword Stuffing?
a. A coding tool designed to help people with disabilities find your page faster
b. Loading your web page with content from other sites
c. Loading a webpage or meta tags with keywords.
114. Which of the below relate to off page SEO?
a. ALT tag
b. Meta Description tag
c. None of the options are correct
d. H1 tag
115. Finding the right keywords to target is critical to your online success. Which of the following strategies should be a part of your keyword selection process?
a. Choose specific, not generic keywords.
b. All of the choices.
c. Do a search on Google for your desired keywords. Review the top ranking sites to see if you can find additional keywords for which you’d also like your site to rank well for.
d. Put yourself in your customer’s shoes by asking, “What problem does my product or service solve for my typical customer?”
116. SEO is best used for?
a. Improving the quality of your website
b. Driving web traffic to your website
c. Selling keywords and guaranteeing page rank
117. Google's Panda, Penguin and Hummingbird search algorithm updates are a move by Google to
a. police the web of black hat marketing techniques.
b. make SEO difficult to accomplish due to encrypted search term results.
c. show sites with relevant, original, high-quality content in search results.
d. show only W3C validated XHTML and HTML5 sites in SERP’s.
e. punish and eradicate all Affiliate Marketing sites.
118. When permanently moving content from one webpage to another, you should...
a. use a 302 redirect.
b. manually transfer the content and delete the old webpage.
c. use a 301 redirect.
119. Which of these categories of tools would NOT be used by someone for ethical SEO?
a. Automated forum posters (e.g. Xrumer)
b. Rank trackers (e.g. WebCEO, Rankwatch)
c. Content management systems (e.g. Drupal, Joomla, WordPress)
d. Social media account management (e.g. Hootsuite, Co-tweet)
e. Web analytics (e.g. Google Analytics)
120. SERP stands for
a. Search Engine Reference Pages
b. Search Engine Reference Protocol
c. Search Engine Results Pages
d. Search Engines Reading Protocol