1. Which of the following statements is true if you open an existing file, make changes to it, and save it with a new name?
- The original file will be deleted.
- The original file remains unchanged.
- The changes will be saved in the original file
- The original file is sent to the Recycle Bin
2. The left side of the Start menu contains two parts, separated by a thin horizontal line. The Windows XP term for manually inserting a shortcut to one of your chosen applications into the top part of the left side (by using the right-context menu of the application in Windows Explorer) is called:
- Attaching an application to the Start menu.
- Pinning an application to the Start menu
- Placing an application into the Start menu.
- Porting an application to the Start menu
3. Which of the following features is/are available in Windows XP?
- A built-in CD burner
- Windows Media Player
- Windows antivirus
- Internet Connection Firewall
- Microsoft Excel
Answer: a, b, d
4. The Microsoft file format that contains the bitmapped graphics and metadata for the skins used in the three preinstalled Windows XP visual themes is:
5. Which of the following statements about the Stand By option while shutting down your computer is/are correct?
- It waits for 5 minutes before shutting down the computer.
- It helps to conserve power by shutting off some hardware, like the hard disk.
- It shuts down the computer for a specific time and then restarts it.
- Stand By will save your desktop and all open files to a special Windows file called hiberfil.sys. This file usually resides in the computer’s root folder (C:\hiberfil.sys).
6. Which statement(s) about the Recycle Bin is/are correct?
- All deleted files except media files are sent to the Recycle Bin
- You can restore any selected files from the Recycle Bin folder by right clicking and then selecting Restore.
- The Recycle Bin stores files for one month before permanently deleting them.
- More than one file at a time cannot be restored from the Recycle Bin.
7. Which of the following statements about Windows XP features is/are correct?
- Windows XP can automatically download updates.
- Windows XP offline files allows you to synchronize your files with your file server.
- If Fast User Switching is enabled, you cannot use offline files.
- There is a “System Restore” functionality within Windows XP.
Answer: a, b, d
8. While viewing file names through the Windows Explorer, what happens if you drag and drop a file named letter1.txt on top of another file named letter2.txt lying in the same folder?
- The contents of letter2.txt will be replaced by the contents of letter1.txt.
- The contents of letter1.txt will be replaced by the contents of letter2.txt.
- The contents of letter1.txt will be appended to the contents of letter2.txt.
- The contents of letter2.txt will be appended to the contents of letter1.txt.
- Nothing will happen.
9. Which of the following type of objects can you search on your computer and on the network, using Windows XP Search Companion?
- People in your contact list
- Windows Help
- All of the above
10. You can create and edit files using the Windows Notepad. What is the extension of a file that has been created using Notepad?